One of our nine 2017 Preservation Awards Winners was the renovation of the Settlement House at 114 Derby Street. All eyes have been on what would become of the Settlement
House once it was no longer owned by the House of the Seven Gables -- and how lucky those eyes are now. The Settlement House, located at 114 Derby Street, is now 6 residential condo units. The 1806 Federal-style building was gutted in 1920 and the exterior “updated” to the Italianate style with larger windows on the third floor and in 1980 a school building was added to the rear of the building.
This building has been at times a Home for Aged Men, an assembly house, and a key piece of the Gables programming. In preparation for its next life as residential condominiums the exterior restoration included masonry repair and repainting, rebuilding of the front stair, Tuscan columns and pedimented portico and new wood doors were added to match the existing. The rear addition, neither historic nor high quality was rebuilt and is an incredible example of contemporary architecture that
distinguishes itself while fitting its context. Both the Turner Street courtyard and Derby Street courtyard were designed by landscape architect Michael D’Angelo for gathering and to provide a sense of place and arrival. Both yards present a welcoming relief to the hardscape and dense urban, historic texture of the Derby Street neighborhood.
We celebrate this renovation with a Historic Salem Preservation Award, presented to Joseph Skomurski, Larry Frej, and Seger Architects.
Follow us on Instagram!