CITY'S PRESERVATION PLAN
In a city like Salem, historic preservation should be at the core of the planning process. If implemented, recommendations in the City’s Preservation Plan, such as those listed below, will solidify Salem as a city that values its architectural heritage. Preservation is a work that is never complete and implementation of this plan will show the vigilance and proactive effort that the city and its citizenry need to pursue in order to claim stewardship of our historic resources.
In 2015 the City of Salem commissioned a new Preservation Plan for the city. The Plan recommends a variety of actions that should be implemented in order for the city to protect and promote its historic resources. Of the many recommendations, Historic Salem finds these to be the most important:
- Strengthening the existing Demolition-delay ordinance
- Capital repairs and scheduled maintenance to City-owned properties
- Expansion of legal protections for historic neighborhoods, including more homes protected by Local Historic Districts
- Permitting process that protects history
- Planning that promotes complementary design and uses