The House of the Seven Gables Settlement Association was founded in 1910 by Salem philanthropist and early historic preservationist Caroline Emmerton. Capitalizing on the Turner-Ingersoll Mansion's connection to Nathaniel Hawthorne (who used it as the setting for his 1851 novel, The House of the Seven Gables), Emmerton rescued the 1668 mansion, restored it, and opened it to the public as a museum, using ticket sales specifically to fund social services for Salem's newly arrived immigrants. Over the past century the Trustees of The House of the Seven Gables Settlement Association have followed Emmerton’s leadership and stewardship example. Over time they have acquired and maintained additional historic structures, including the Retire Beckett House (1655), the Hooper-Hathaway House (1682), Hawthorne's Birth Place (c.1750), and the Phippen House (1782). In 2007, the campus was designated a National Historic Landmark District, signifying its high level of historic integrity and the significant role it plays in interpreting 3 ½ centuries' worth of stories relevant not only to the heritage of the region, but to the architectural, economic, literary, and social history of the nation. Most recently the Settlement Association has undertaken stabilization of the Summer beam in the Gables, allowing the dining room to be open to the public as well as more practical projects including four new roofs. Through the efforts of the House of the Seven Gables Settlement Association we see an important example of stewardship of our shared history and culture. This year the Gables is proud to celebrate the Turner-Ingersoll Mansion’s 350th anniversary and HSI was proud to present them with an award for a Century of Stewardship.
Follow us on Instagram!