The Greek Revival building located at 55-57 Federal Street was constructed c. 1836 by Joshua Loring as a double residential home. The building located at 59 Federal Street was constructed c. 1850 as a residential property. By 1890 the buildings were connected by a two-story ell. Portions of both buildings were later renovated for office use and over time the buildings fell into disrepair.
When Salem Renewal LLC purchased the buildings, they continued their proud tradition of rehabilitation. In partnership with Seger Architects of Salem, they converted the buildings into 9 residential units. The exterior materials including the siding, trim, windows, and roof were all restored or replaced and the interior woodwork, fireplaces, and staircase were completely refurbished. Proposed work qualified for Historic Tax Credits, which require stringent adherence to the Secretary of the Interior's Standards and the buildings are now a proud complement to the historic neighborhood of the Federal Street district.
Follow us on Instagram!