HISTORIC SALEM INC
  • Home
    • About HSI
    • Mission
    • Board & Staff
    • JOIN & GIVE >
      • Join or Renew Membership
      • Donate
      • Volunteer Opportunities
      • Join Our Mailing List
    • The Bowditch House >
      • Nathaniel Bowditch
    • Contact Us
  • Preservation
    • Preservation Award Recipients
    • About the Advocacy Summaries >
      • 301 Essex - Former Jerry's
      • Pioneer Village and Camp Naumkeag
      • Demolition Delay
    • Protecting Neighborhoods >
      • North Salem and Mack Park
      • Bridge Street Neck Neighborhood
      • Salem Willows Neighborhood
    • Council Candidates 2025
    • Protect Historic Resources >
      • Brick Committee
    • New Development in Historic Neighborhoods
    • Successes >
      • 2011 Update of Renewal Plan
      • 1740 Samuel Pope House
      • Beckford Way
      • Historic Salem Jail
      • Wendt House, 18 Crombie Street
    • For Historic Homeowners
    • Planning & Study Documents
    • Archives
  • Histories & Plaques
    • Overview
    • HHP Request Form
    • Refresh Your Plaque
    • House Relocation Database
    • HSI House History Database
  • TALK ABOUT DESIGN
    • Citizens Guide to the Downtown Renewal Plan >
      • Design in Historic Context Panel
    • Preservation Education
  • CHRISTMAS IN SALEM
    • Christmas in Salem
  • News & Events
    • News and Opinion
    • Video

House Relocation Database

Background of Salem House Relocation
 
Many people are familiar with house relocation, it’s not unusual to see images of entire houses on top of trucks, being moved to a new location to save them from demolition. Today, when an historic house faces the dangers of a new development, the broadening of streets, or lately, environmental threats, sometimes the only solution to save the building is to relocate it. The most well-known examples in Salem are on the historic campuses of the House of the Seven Gables and the Peabody Essex Museum (its Yin Yu Tang house must take the award for the longest distance a Salem house has traveled). Still, many other private homes across town have been moved from different locations. Historic Salem, Inc.’s origins lie in the efforts to relocate the Nathaniel Bowditch House and Judge Jonathan Corwin House (The Witch House) to save them from demolition. 
 
Although historic preservation is the main reason to move these structures today, landowners over the past two centuries had more practical reasons to uproot their homes. Before the advent of the mass-produced prefabricated components and the popularization of building materials like masonry, metal, and concrete, it was more economical and less wasteful to move a wood-frame building rather than demolishing it and rebuilding from scratch. Before the advent of motorized vehicles, these houses were pulled by oxen or horses on wooden rollers, a long process that could damage the structure if done improperly. New considerations had to be made as Salem developed as a city; like trees, pavement, traffic, noise, and, of course, utility cables that had to be disconnected and reattached. Yet, as the Salem city records show, the effort seems to have been worth it since in the last half of the nineteenth century, dozens of houses, barns, and outbuildings were moved across Salem each year. 
 
HSI’s House Relocation Database
 
Tracking down the origins of moved houses involves a lot of time, patience, and luck, since in many cases, the only records of a house being moved are newspaper articles or surviving documents like those of the well-known Salem diarist, the Reverend William Bentley. To facilitate this research, Historic Salem, Inc. is providing a database of house removal permits, based on the City Council minutes from 1881 to 1997. During this time, any attempt to move a building on public roads required a permit issued by the City Council, so the database has almost 400 records of buildings that were moved. Within the database, one will find the date when the permit was requested and the date of response (not the actual moving date), the volume and page where the Council minutes record is located, the name of the mover or moving company, and the addresses of origin and destination. Regarding the addresses of origin and destination, not all information was fully recorded during these proceedings, so, in many cases, the addresses are missing or just the street is mentioned. Finally, it’s also important to remember that some of these streets were renumbered later, so the address today might not coincide with the address on the record.  
 
Though we hope this tool will be useful for researchers and anyone with an interest in learning more about their homes, neighborhood, or Salem in general, there are limitations to consider. First, only buildings that traveled down a public road required a permit, so there are no Council records of buildings moved within the block (like The Witch House). Finally, the accessible digitized Council records only go back to Volume 12 in 1881; earlier volumes haven’t been digitized so they can only be accessed in person at Salem City Hall. 
 
The House Relocation Database is a spread sheet with two pages:
·         The first page, City Minutes, corresponds to records from the Salem City Council minutes, ranging from 1875 to 1997. Marked in green are those records that have a corresponding HSI House History file in a separate database. 
·         The second page, HSI House Histories, corresponds to additional information HSI historians have gathered through our House History program that isn’t available in the City Council minutes. To look for a specific address, use the “Find and Replace” function (Crtl+H) and type the street name you’re looking for. 
 
The House Relocation Database can be accessed using the following link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19Xz8bKwa5lCtTzSxGoHWXgx8_DdvqGRFtrTIuNCgTv0/edit?usp=sharing

​Historic Salem, Inc. | 9 North Street, Salem, MA 01970 | (978) 745-0799 | [email protected]
​Founded in 1944, Historic Salem Inc. is dedicated to the preservation of historic buildings and sites.
Copyright 2025 Historic Salem, Inc. - All Rights Reserved
Historic Salem, Inc., HSI, Christmas in Salem and all associated original artwork, logos and
content on this site are the proprietary property of Historic Salem, Inc. Misuse of this intellectual
property is prohibited and may violate applicable law.
  • Home
    • About HSI
    • Mission
    • Board & Staff
    • JOIN & GIVE >
      • Join or Renew Membership
      • Donate
      • Volunteer Opportunities
      • Join Our Mailing List
    • The Bowditch House >
      • Nathaniel Bowditch
    • Contact Us
  • Preservation
    • Preservation Award Recipients
    • About the Advocacy Summaries >
      • 301 Essex - Former Jerry's
      • Pioneer Village and Camp Naumkeag
      • Demolition Delay
    • Protecting Neighborhoods >
      • North Salem and Mack Park
      • Bridge Street Neck Neighborhood
      • Salem Willows Neighborhood
    • Council Candidates 2025
    • Protect Historic Resources >
      • Brick Committee
    • New Development in Historic Neighborhoods
    • Successes >
      • 2011 Update of Renewal Plan
      • 1740 Samuel Pope House
      • Beckford Way
      • Historic Salem Jail
      • Wendt House, 18 Crombie Street
    • For Historic Homeowners
    • Planning & Study Documents
    • Archives
  • Histories & Plaques
    • Overview
    • HHP Request Form
    • Refresh Your Plaque
    • House Relocation Database
    • HSI House History Database
  • TALK ABOUT DESIGN
    • Citizens Guide to the Downtown Renewal Plan >
      • Design in Historic Context Panel
    • Preservation Education
  • CHRISTMAS IN SALEM
    • Christmas in Salem
  • News & Events
    • News and Opinion
    • Video